Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Main Page Home CHAT SearchHelpLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Issues after heated EGO install (Read 214 times)
DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Issues after heated EGO install
03/13/17 at 14:47:46

Hi,

Was getting a code 44.  While looking for the cause, I found the previous owner had cut the wire to the EGO sensor, then used a wire nut to connect it back to the harness.  I used that as an excuse to install a heated sensor (Denso 234-3011, which interchanges with the GM and Bosch numbers that are recommended here). 

I picked up some issues after the install -
- It hunts for an idle speed.
- It dies when I put it into drive unless I sit for a minute and let the idle stabilize.
- It developed an off-idle bog and it bogs after shifting (I had similar issue a few months ago which was resolved with a new fuel filter).

I verified my wiring on the new sensor.  I'm not getting any codes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Re: Issues after heated EGO install
Reply #1 - 03/13/17 at 16:33:02

Just threw a code 44 again.  I can feel it lose power then the CEL comes on.

More background -
Previous owner had just replaced both fuel pumps prior to my purchase (I have the receipt for the parts, plus he gave me the old pumps).  I replaced fuel filter a couple weeks ago and it literally had black sludge come out of the inlet.  Fuel on the other side of the filter looked clear. 

Currently smog pump is disconnected - it seized and replacements are stupid expensive for what they are.  I'm holding off until smog test time to replace it.

It loses power and throws the code no matter which tank I'm using.

As I'm typing this, it is making me think that maybe the inlet screens on the injectors are dirty/clogged?  That would make sense regarding a lean condition no matter which tank I'm using.  And with the fuel filter being as nasty as it was...

OK, so besides pulling out the injectors and checking them, what else should I look for?  I don't have a setup for checking fuel pressure yet, but that is on my list for this weekend.

Truck is a 87 R30 with TBI 454.

IP Logged

Mutt
Overpost

Hammer Down

Evansville, IN
Reply #2 - 03/15/17 at 11:50:56

If the pumps were replaced, and you've replaced the filter, it could also be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator beneath the back of the injector pods.

Full TBI rebuild kits are fairly cheap and asside from some torx bits they are very basic to rebuild.

Also, do you have stock exhaust manifolds? Stock Exhaust?

1988 SCLB DRW 3500 7.4 TBI, 80's toyota buggy on 39.5's, New tube buggy on 43's in the works.

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Reply #3 - 03/15/17 at 18:44:44

Mutt wrote on 03/15/17 at 11:50:56:
If the pumps were replaced, and you've replaced the filter, it could also be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator beneath the back of the injector pods.

Full TBI rebuild kits are fairly cheap and asside from some torx bits they are very basic to rebuild.

Also, do you have stock exhaust manifolds? Stock Exhaust?

I have a rebuild kit sitting on my workbench already.  Stock manifolds.  Cat was replaced with high flow Magnaflow piece and exhaust is 3" from where they merge through the tailpipe.

IP Logged

Mutt
Overpost

Hammer Down

Evansville, IN
Reply #4 - 03/16/17 at 16:24:10

I only made mention of the exhaust because I had issues with driveability after putting long tube headers on even with a heated o2 sensor the sensor seems to cool off too quickly and not read properly.  Only when i tuned the truck with a wideband and leave it in open loop does it run properly.

1988 SCLB DRW 3500 7.4 TBI, 80's toyota buggy on 39.5's, New tube buggy on 43's in the works.

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Reply #5 - 03/19/17 at 00:49:07

Well I think I found the source of my issues that have been plaguing me since I bought it, which is the code 44 and the hesitation, etc...  When I started tearing down the throttle body, besides some oring issues on the injectors, I found that the previous owner had broken one of the bolts on the TPS.  It was sheared right at the end of the hole so there was nothing to grab. Then I noticed that the throttle body itself was cracked around that hole.   Angry  I carefully drilled the bolt which was surprisingly soft and started working it with an easy-out, but it will not budge.  When I really pull on it, the crack opens up and I do not want to break off the side of that hole.  So I think I'm looking for a rebuilt unit.  I do have play in the throttle shafts as well, so it is time.

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Reply #6 - 03/20/17 at 01:06:04

What was wrong with my TBI...let me count the issues...

- Broken bolt and cracked base that allowed the TPS to move
- Sloppy throttle shaft
- Crud built up on pintle if IAC
- O-rings torn on the bottom of both injectors (explains the drip while running)
- Hole in diaphragm on fuel pressure regulator
- No gasket on fitting for return line (explains drip at back of unit)

Rebuilt pod with new injectors.  Just waiting for the TBI Parts/SPR Performance base so I can put it all together.

IP Logged

Mutt
Overpost

Hammer Down

Evansville, IN
Reply #7 - 03/20/17 at 15:58:01

Awesome, glad you've figured out your issues and all the symptoms are here... Maybe it will help someone else one day!

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Reply #8 - 03/22/17 at 11:37:24

Received my SPR Performance base and it is a thing of beauty.  No slop in the shaft and it operates very smoothly.

Add to my list of issues - the line from the TBI to the MAP was 5/16, which is a very loose fit on the MAP.  I can't see how I ever got an accurate signal to the MAP. 

So all issues above were fixed.  Set the TPS and minimum idle speeds.  Injector spray is a nice fine spray with no more drips.  All I can say is that it drives like a new truck.  It finally feels like a big block.  Smooth idle, and smooth power everywhere.  No more codes.  No more losing power at part throttle cruise.  All is good in the world.

IP Logged

heavychevy
NATC Member

Hattiesburg, MS
Reply #9 - 03/22/17 at 20:44:21

Glad you finally got it working right!  Nothing like a smooth running big block!

1990 454SS, 489c.i.d.,  Scat crank/rods, Probe pistons, Comp 264HR, Holley Strip Dominator, 750 DP, ARP studs, 13.5 on the stock tune, 95 deg heat, no traction & yno high gear,  over 100k on the stroker!
1971 Heavy Chevy Chevelle (on seemingly endless frame off restoration Sad )
1950 Plymouth 2dr Deluxe Fastback (currently out of action)
1989 c1500 (new heart Smiley)
1999 Tracker 2wd conv.  (dead until resuscitated)
I've got WAY more stuff that doesn't run than does!
IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Reply #10 - 03/26/17 at 10:15:08

Just a quick update...

Wednesday on the way home from work it threw codes for 32 and 44.  I put a vacuum pump on the EGR to test and it was holding vacuum but the idle was not changing.  I put more vacuum to it and heard a snap, then the engine nearly died.  After that, the EGR functioned with very little vacuum.  The dang EGR was stuck closed!

Thurs AM left for San Diego towing our 6k lb travel trailer and it ran awesome.  No codes, and best power it has had since I have owned it.  Only had to downshift twice in the mountains heading from Imperial into San Diego.  Nasty headwind from Gila Bend all the way through Imperial County but still maintained 60-65mph the whole way.  Even managed an 8+mpg tank on the way home with the A/C running.

Now that I have it running good, time to start adding power...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print