Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Main Page Home CHAT SearchHelpLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1995 Suburban 2500 454 build (Read 208 times)
Intragration
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Chicago
1995 Suburban 2500 454 build
03/17/17 at 03:21:58

Consider this a new build thread.  I'm relatively new to the tech end of this platform, but I'm the type of guy who does things right, so that's how this will get done eventually.  For now, just starting out.  I haven't done much research at all, so I don't even have any questions yet.

As it stands, it's a stock 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4 with an L19 454 and a 4L80E.  It gets about 9 MPG (used to be 10) but now it has 230K miles.  Does the quarter in approximately 22 seconds.  It originally came from California, so it's a worthwhile base.  It's currently my daily driver, therefore complicated in such a way that weekend projects are out of the question.

The thing that's really getting me now, in addition to 230K miles, is this strange transmission/TPS issue.  Sometimes, it moves out ok, and shifts fine.  If I'm going up a hill or next to someone who's passing me at 35 MPH, and if I give it some gas but don't floor it, and then if I give it a bit more, it does this crazy transmission flare, as if the transmission is slipping and bad.  From this point onward, it shifts CRAZY hard, like stage 4 shift kit, until it's turned off and restarted.  Then, it goes back to normal, like nothing happened.  And again, if I give it a bunch of gas off the line, no problems, it gets up, goes, shifts, acts normal.  Only in these very odd circumstances, and then only until I restart it.

Regardless, it needs about 200 more horsepower, so I'm not too worried about it, and it's reliable for work for the time being.  It's just a concept in my head, which will be taking place over the next 3-5 years.

I halfway like the concept of keeping it a max-effort TBI.  400 horsepower can't be completely outside of the realm of do-able, and I get to keep it mostly stock.  I also halfway like the concept of carb/HEI/trans controller.  Because I hate computers, and would love to limit computers to a trans controller.  If I go this route, I worry about things like speedometer function, cruise control, AC, and other things that might die along with the computer.  To keep things in perspective, as long as it gets 5 MPG, and as long as it's as reliable as a 1970 LS6 Chevelle in a 1970 Chicago winter, I care not the least about economy or the sort of "reliability" that EFI-only folks refer to.  I grew up with carburetors, they're our friends.

For background, I've done numerous SB-to-BB conversions, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.  I just hate modern, and I wonder in the back of my head if a '95 is too modern, and if I should just sell it and go with an '85, or a '75 with a plain old TH400 and a Gear Vendors.  That's all for now.  Just thinking out loud.  As I said, it's new territory for me.  I'll be digging around here a bit.  If anyone has any initial thoughts, all input is welcome.  Thank you!

IP Logged

colt45
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Re: 1995 Suburban 2500 454 build
Reply #1 - 03/28/17 at 05:05:00

Sounds a fun project.
Slipping on trans could be telling it needs more attention.

IP Logged

DieselSJ
YaBB Newbies

I Love the NATC

Re: 1995 Suburban 2500 454 build
Reply #2 - 03/28/17 at 14:35:57

I love the EFI in my R30.  Hit the key and it starts, no matter how hot or cold or if at sea level or in the mountains at 8000 feet.  Had my first long distance tow with it over the weekend, which included the mountains on I-8 going from AZ into San Diego and it just worked nicely all the time.  I'd have a hard time going back to a carb.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print